Wednesday, April 13, 2011

March Meese (plural for moose?)

New Digs!
Upon my return to the tundra in March (after a brief visit home for a funeral) I was able to spend some time "settling in" to my new apartment and exploring the surrounding area. The picture below hardly does justice to my new building. However, those white peaks in the background are not clouds; they are mountains! As I am able to see them every day, I am one happy camper. :)

1601 Medfra Street Anchorage AK 99501


EARTHQUAKE!
06:19 AM AKDT on 3/25/11: We had an earthquake here in Anchorage! Just a little one - 4.3 magnitude - about 2 hours North of Anchorage, but it was large enough to wake me up from sleep at 6AM. It lasted 15-20 seconds and literally felt like two people were having sex on my bed. [Don't worry Mom & Dad - I'm only referencing what I've seen in movies]. I came to the conclusion that what I'd felt WAS an Earthquake (and not my neighbors); though I was not quite confident enough to ask anyone: "was there an earthquake this morning?"

I spent most of the day eaves-dropping on the nurses and tech's conversations at work - to see if anyone was talking about an earthquake. This was to no avail so I finally asked one of my scribes if there were ever earthquakes in AK/Anchorage. LUCKILY there are "All the time!"

University of Alaska-Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute runs an Alaska Earthquake Information Center tracks all nearby seismic activity, and recorded a report that confirms my story.

Meese Ski!
As the days are finally beginning to stay lighter longer by the end of March, I have been able to get some great twilight night ski's in before the sun completely sets (at around 9PM). Below are some beautiful pictures I took while stopping to suck some wind. 

 
I was very excited one evening when I saw a MOOSE standing literally on the classic tracks I was skiing on. He was just chompin' on some branches and so of course I took a picture. Moose can actually be fairly dangerous (despite my impression of them as being a bigger dumber version of a deer); as I began to wonder how I should continue on my ski, the moose casually moved on. :)




5 comments:

  1. Pleural...is that French or are we talking about the lung cavity?? I miss you, come visit. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay what are you talking about? I spelled it correctly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only the ones with red noses :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter, Brenna!!
    I hope all is quiet on the earthquake radar today and that you have a chance to do more skiing without the meese on the trail!!
    I hear they are most dangerous when they have young calves, which I believe is in the spring. Your aunt Mary Jo had a very close call one time when hiking. If I remember correctly, she found herself between the two, or almost and was worried the mother moose was going to chase her.
    Anyway, I am setting a plate for you at Dinner today,in my mind,(don't want to dirty any more dishes than neccessary) and hoping your Easter is fun, sunny and delicious!
    your loving, Auntie Bonnie"

    ReplyDelete